WASM Alumni Awards 2017 Life Membership to Founder of WIMWA
The WA School of Mines Alumni Council is delighted to announce it has awarded the 2017 Life Membership Award to Sabina Shugg.
Sabina Shugg is a 1993 Mining Engineering graduate and has made a significant contribution to the Alumni over a 10 year period of continuous service as a council member and as a prominent member of the mining fraternity.
Sabina has been a very effective at introducing, providing and contributing to:
- the increase in female WASMA members
- the increase in female enrolment to WASM
- an increase in secondary students studying STEM subjects especially females.
- introducing major sponsors to WASMA programs
- providing links to political and industry leaders
- contributing to the mentoring program
- Forming a long term partnership between WASMA and WIMWA
- contributing to WASMA matters using her extensive external network
- Very effective at helping and guiding members of the council and the COO.
Sabina has almost singlehandedly been a beacon and pathfinder for women in mining which is extremely important to the function and success of the Alumni.
In addition to her contributions to WASMA she has been widely recognised by her peers and other institutions
- 2008 MBA @ UWA
- 2003 Founder and Director of Women in Mining WA. A Partner with WASMA
- 2010 Inaugural Women in Resources Champion in the Chamber of Mines and Energy of Western Australia Women in Resources Awards, for being an outstanding role model to people in the resources industry and the broader community.
- 2011 One of the first 100 women to be inducted into the WA women’s Hall of Fame
- 2013 Woman of influence award winner by the Australian Financial Review
- 2013 Named as one of the 100 Global Inspirational Woman in Mining
- 2015 Awarded an Order of Australia for her significant service to the mining industry through executive roles in the resources sector and as a role model and mentor to women
- 2016 Curtin’s Alumni Professional Achievement Award